- 20.9MP DX-Format CMOS Sensor
- EXPEED 5 Image Processor
- 3.2″ 2539k-Dot Tilting Touchscreen LCD
- 4K UHD Video Recording at 30 fps
The D500 DSLR camera by Nikon is a flagship model within the company’s DX-format DSLR line. Among its distinguishing characteristics is its robust physical construction, apt imaging capabilities, and a more compact, sleek form factor than its FX counterparts. With a 20.9MP CMOS sensor and EXPEED 5 image processor, this camera is designed for both still and video shooters with its fast 10-fps continuous-shooting rate and 4K UHD video recording abilities.
The D500 sensor and processor also combine to avail a native sensitivity range up to ISO 51200, which can be further expanded to ISO 1640000 for working in dark and difficult lighting conditions. It favors the fast shooting performance and is also characterized by its expansive Multi-CAM 20K 153-point AF system, which features 99 cross-type points for fast performance and accurate subject tracking capabilities.
20.9MP DX-Format CMOS Sensor and EXPEED 5 Image Processor
Pairing the DX-format 20.9MP CMOS sensor with the EXPEED 5 image processor provides the camera with high sensitivity, nuanced image quality, and fast overall performance. A sensitivity range from ISO 100-51200 permits working in a broad array of lighting conditions, an can be further expanded to ISO 50-1640000 (Lo 1 to Hi 5) to handle the most challenging of situations. The EXPEED 5 processor affords the camera system a wealth of speed that include a continuous shooting rate of 10 fps with full-time autofocus and exposure metering, up to 200 frames in a single burst as well as a Quiet Continuous Mode for shooting 3 fps in noise-sensitivity areas.
4K UHD Video Recording
The D500 supports 4K UHD video recording at 30, 25, and 24 fps frame rates and Full HD/HD recording at up to 60 fps, along with the ability to save movie files to the in-camera memory cards or as an uncompressed file to an optional external recorder via HDMI out. In addition, there are three image area options that are available:
- 4K UHD movie image format is an area that provides a 1.5x increase in the effective focal length of the lens in use and is reserved for 4K 3840 x 2160 recording.
- 1.3x-based movie image area provides a 1.3x crop of the DX sensor, and is used for recording FULL HD and HD video.
- DX-based movie image format utilizes the full width of the DX-format sensor, and is used to record Full HD 1920 x 1080 and HD 1280 x 720 video. This setting is well-suited for shallow depth of field effects and provides the widest field of view.
153-Point Multi-CAM 20K Autofocus System
The apt Multi-CAM 20K AF system features 153 total phase-detection points, including 99 cross-type sensors for improved subject recognition, and 55 of the points are selectable for greater compositional freedom. Benefitting the use of super telephoto lenses and teleconverters, 15 of the points, including 9 selectable points, are compatible with an effective aperture of f/8 and all 153 points support working with effective apertures of f/5.6 or brighter.
The dedicated AF engine offers quick response times to benefit tracking fast and randomly moving subjects, even at the top 10 fps shooting rate. Furthering the versatility of the focusing system, seven different AF-area modes can be selected to support varying types of subjects matter:
- Single-Point AF: The camera uses a single point to find focus.
- Dynamic-Area AF: Available with 25, 72, or 153-point selections, this mode uses a primary single focus point to lock onto focus, and then makes use of the surrounding points for maintaining focus while tracking erratically-moving subjects.
- Group-Area AF: This mode treats smaller groups of AF points as a single point for a wider field of recognition, and is well-suited to tracking faces or other detailed subjects.
- 3D-Tracking: Using a subject’s color information, this mode utilizes all 153 points to maintain focus on a moving subject while half-pressing the shutter button.
- Auto-Area AF: This mode makes use of all 153 points to quickly identify the main subject, and then prioritizes recognized faces as portrait subjects in any AF servo mode.
This camera has a large 3.2″ rear LCD monitor that features a high 2,359k-dot resolution for clear, vivid playback and live view shooting. The monitor is also a touchscreen for more intuitive menu navigation and settings control, and is usable while shooting, giving you the ability to choose a focus point or an area to set the white balance from. The screen can also be used as a keyboard for quickly entering notes, copyright info, or IPTC information. Additionally, it features a tilting design for easier visibility when shooting from high and low working angles.
A bright pentaprism optical viewfinder offers 100% frame coverage and a 1.0x magnification, and incorporates an organic EL display system to provide shooting information for seamless adjustment over camera settings without removing your eye from the viewfinder. Additionally, the optical glass features enhanced coatings for increased brightness, contrast, and color neutrality for more lifelike viewing.
Extending file saving capabilities by permitting overflow recording, in-camera file duplicating, or the ability to segregate raw and JPEG files between two cards, the D500 is configured with both SD and XQD memory card slots.
A robust magnesium alloy chassis is both dust- and weather-resistant to benefit working in harsh climates and inclement conditions.
The ergonomic grip and overall form factor are shaped to benefit handling for extended periods of time and are further accentuated by anti-slip, textured controls and easy-to-open card slot covers. Additionally, most of the rear buttons on the rear of the camera are illuminated for greater visibility when working in dim lighting conditions. Two configurable Fn buttons, one front-facing and the other rear-facing, may be assigned for checking depth of field or used for other shooting controls.
The included EN-EL15 rechargeable lithium-ion battery is CIPA-rated to last for approximately 1240 shots per charge in single-frame release modes. The optional MB-D17 Multi-Power Battery Pack can also be added to further extend shooting times.
SnapBridge Wi-Fi Connectivity
The D500 features built-in SnapBridge Wi-Fi connectivity to enable seamless transfer of imagery as well as remote shooting capabilities. BLE – Bluetooth Low Energy technology enables communication between the camera and a smart device. Additionally, the mobile device can remotely trigger the shutter and display a live view image from the camera to enable working from a distance. NFC (Near Field Communication) is also supported to provide a quick and simple tap-to-connect method for linking your mobile devices with the camera.
For faster wireless performance, the D500 is also compatible with the optional WT-7A Wireless Transmitter enabling transmission of image files via FTP server or computer at speeds of up to 866.7 Mbps.
Included in the Box
- Nikon D500 DSLR Camera (Body Only)
- Nikon EN-EL15 Lithium-Ion Battery (1900mAh)
- Nikon MH-25A Battery Charger for EN-EL15 Li-Ion Battery
- Nikon DK-17 Eyepiece
- Nikon UC-E22 USB 3.0 Cable
- USB Cable Clip
- HDMI Cable Clip
- Nikon AN-DC17 Replacement Camera Strap for D500 DSLR
- Nikon BF-1B Body Cap